Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Help


What a great book... set in 1963...it's about the black women who are the hired help for the society women in Jackson, Mississippi... there are SO MANY levels...and boundaries to discover. I highly recommend it... and especially... read the section on page 311 .....there are so many constraints that the woman and society put between each other....and I love the 'colored' dialect... the white-trashy Miss Celia is my fav character. I plan to open my first day of school in my literature classes with this page (311) and solicit discussion. Make this your summer read.

2 comments:

Mommie Maureenie said...

This does sound like a great book...I can't wait to get it and read it! It would be fun to be in your literature class on your first day, Anne. :)

I Choose Happiness said...

I absolutely loved this book!!