Friday, January 4, 2008

Lorene Donaldson's Queen Days

My mother was published on the cover of the Salt lake Tribute Society Page riding in her favorite equestrian challenge. Look how high she has that horse, and in perfect control. No wonder Ogden Mayor Harmon Peery said that he 'liked the way she sat a horse'. He asked her to ride his own horse in the parade.
The finally pose for the 1936 Odgen Pioneer Days Rodeo--as the newly crowned "Whoopee Girl".. Age 14
My grandmother sewed the outfit, but was still very concerned that she not be photographed in an unseemly or immodest pose. I love this picture of my grandmother, Olive Harbertson Donaldson. She was about age 37 here. My grandfather told me many times that she was voted the "Prettiest Girl at Ogden High". I can see why. She was beautiful, but I never remember her young like this. She was always the perfect lady, proper and cultered. She always dressed well.

In 1964 she was called back to Utah to lead the parade . A special float was build just for her. This blue outfit is a size 7. I would often look at it with all her other riding outfits and horse blankets, show bridles and horse leggings she kept in the attic. She was 42 in this picture (below). I was 10 years old at the time. I still have and riding tact, blanket, and the boots.Below....this is a great photo of the downtown Ogden of 1936. Mother is leading the parade here, too. And each afternoon and evening (2 rodeos per day back then) she was lead the Grand March into the stadium. Try to enlarge this picture and notice how the citizens dress up for the event. High heels and hats....compare that with parade goers today. The 'dress-up' mentality is gone nowadays..... and so is downtown Ogden.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I've never seen these pictures! Oh, why couldn't I have inherited those great legs?