Saturday, November 15, 2008

Joseph Harbertson

This is Joseph Harbertson, my mother's 'Old English Grandfather' as she used to call him. I love this photo. I have it in a gold filigree frame on the mantle. He was an Ogden City policeman for 15 years in the 1890s. He had nine children, one of them being my Grandma Olive Donaldson. My brother Dayton owns his original gun from this time period. In the archives, there are great stories of Officer Joe Harbertson apprehending criminals on 25th Street (a wild street near the railroad). He earned a good salary, but on top of that, he got a bonus of 3 dollars every time he booked a criminal. He built a house for each of his children .... on Kiesel, 18th, 17th and Parry Streets. Those houses are being torn down now to make way for urban development.

2 comments:

Harbertson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harbertson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.