Thursday, November 13, 2008

We will miss them

This is the former bishopric of the Shadow Mountain Ward. For 6 years they guided the ward...and wonderful men they are..Bishop Joel Porter is in the middle, Bro. Tribe is on the left, and Bro. Kunz is on the right. The first introduction of Bishop Porter to our family was in
February, 2003. We had just move in Ogden, and he and his counselors
came over for a visit. I was impressed that we had only been there a
few days and they were there already. I remember asking him how long
he had been the Bishop, and he said that he had been called for only
only a few months. After telling us what a wonderful, strong and
faithful ward we were in, I remember he said, "I don't know why they
called me....maybe because everyone else had already been a bishop."
In his humble and self-deprecating way, he let us know he was there to
serve.
The best qualities about Bishop Porter are: tremendous
kindness, and a humility that doesn't make one feel uncomfortable, and
his cheerfulness -- whether at the pulpit in front of hundreds, or in
the hallway alone. I was able to see him at church, as a neighbor, at
sporting practices and events. He always made me proud that he was
ours.

No comments: